Sunday, November 9, 2014

Organ Pipes Walk

Yesterday I walked the Organ Pipes circuit walk from The Springs on kunanyi / Mount Wellington. I sure picked a warm day! At 8.30am it was already 20 degrees at The Springs, halfway up the mountain where it is normally quite cool. By the time I finished, it was 29 degrees and the sun was brutal on the exposed sections of track. Sunscreen, hat and lots of water required! To think that only a week ago, there was snow.

The walk has four quite distinct sections - the easy, undulating Lenah Valley Track to Junction Cabin, a steep and often rocky climb up Hunters Track to the Chalet, the Organ Pipes themselves, then a downhill back to the Springs. I saw two snakes, hundreds of skinks of all sizes and thousands of tiny wildflowers in season.

If you peer very closely at the first photo below, you might spot a man in red, halfway up the dolerite columns known as the Organ Pipes. I could hear the rockclimbers hollering to each other up there, but it took me a while to spot them!

The hot, sweaty climb was worth it. Spectacular views all round.

1 comment:

  1. I remember doing that walk once - fortunately it was not as hot as the day you did it! And also we were picked up when we got to the top of the mountain and driven back down. Your photos are lovely - and bring back some lovely memories of when I was much fitter than I am now!!!

    ReplyDelete